Saturday, June 25, 2016

After the Trust is "Lost"

Right now my employer and my union are in negotiations over changes to our labor contract. We are almost at 4 years since the previous agreement became amendable. This means we are working under significantly old work rules and pay rates.

The fact that the negotiations have gone on so long is due to the Railway Labor Act of 1926. It is complicated legislation that essentially prevents strikes and disruptions to important transportation structures in our country. Work contracts, under the RLA do not expire. They become amendable on an agreed upon date. The act has prevented nearly all striking at U.S. airlines over the years - enabling protracted negotiations instead of labor walkouts. Of course the walkouts have happened - after years of unsuccessful bargaining between both sides. Sometimes the business is substantially disrupted - such as the United Pilot's Strike of 1985. Sometimes it is not - such as when American Airlines Pilots attempted a strike in 1997. It was shut down within minutes by President Clinton using authority within the RLA.

"Trust" is a word being used very often these days by our union leadership. Mostly it is in the context of  not being able to trust our company's managment anymore.

As an employee watching both sides of the negotiations, I compare myself to a kid in the backseat of a car on a long family road trip. Mom and Dad are arguing. I probably side a little more with one of the two. But mostly with the bickering, I'm just ready to get out of the car - to the vacation spot, back home to my friends, wherever. Just away from these two. (To be clear - these are methaphorical parents - nowhere close to my own).

In this scenario I see one of my parents taking me aside privately. Apologizing, he or she says they simply don't trust the other anymore.

When that is said, is there ever any repairing the relationship? As a kid, you don't think that far ahead or care much. Kids don't yell on the playground " I don't trust you!"

They yell: "I hate you!" And very often quickly forget and make up.

But as an adult, when words like this are spoken, is there realistically ever going to be a return to the days when the two did trust each other? Maybe. But not very often. Bad feelings like this often go on for years. Forever.

Like the kid in the back seat, I'm ready for the trip to be over. I want my company be successful. I know that unions and employers, like a marriage, work best when they work together. Unlike a doomed marriage - the trust has to be recovered. Divorce is not an option.