Monday, December 19, 2016

Petra, Jordan - Notes

Notes on visiting Petra, Jordan:

A good, basic information source: www.wikitravel.org/en/petra

Fly into Amman, Jordan. My direct flight was from JFK on Royal Jordanian. That airline codeshares with AA and uses their gates - so mine was an easy transfer within the same terminal. Paid ticket was 800 USD one way from Phoenix.

Currency is Jordanian dollar. Locals will say 'geedee' (JD) when bargaining.

ATM at the airport will dispense JDs. I used my Navy Federal ATM card (Plus Network) no problem.

Cab ride about 20 JD to central Amman. Speaking of cabs, agree on a price before riding anywhere. Type it on your phone to be sure of the number. 2-5 JD for many rides in town.

I used Airbnb for a week stay in Amman. $55 USD per night for a decent house. Plenty of brand name upscale hotels around Jordan. Didn't price them.

Did the usual tourist stuff in Amman on either side of the Petra visit. All very worthwhile. Use www.wikitravel.org/en/Amman for more info.

Petra Info:

I rode the Jett Bus to Petra and back. www.jett.com.jo  20 JDs round trip. Very reasonable. Average comfortable big box tour bus. Left their company terminal in Amman at 0630. 3 hours to Petra with a 30 minute stop at a fine little restaurant/souvenir place on the way.

After arrival, had a quick lunch, hotel check-in and entered the Petra Site around 11 am. Walked the Siq, saw the Treasury, a few other fascinating structures then a strenuous walk to the Monastery. Enjoyed the views and walked back to the entrance. This took about 5 hours total.

I walked at a moderate pace with no real resting except to enjoy the sites and views from above the Monastery. If I had gone a little faster, I could have skipped a hotel that night and caught the 4 pm Jett Bus back to Amman. That would have been a long, exhausting day!

But I planned to stay the night in Petra and did that. 2 star hotel was adequate. Had to ask for a space heater, but they politely obliged. If I had wanted a shower in my private bath (which I didn't because the room was so cold!) I would have had to ask for soap and towels. No problem and never surprising in places like this.

With the bus travel and mostly 2-3 star accommodations Petra on your own is classic 'rough travel.' Not unclean or uncomfortable or unsafe - though your wife's standards may vary from my own. Most everything is not like a Crowne Plaza. Which there happens to be at the entrance gate to Petra. I never saw the rates.

Dinner was at a local friendly kebab joint and I was in bed with exhausted legs and plenty of blankets by 7 pm.

Next day up a 6. Breakfast at the hotel, then back at the site by 7. I spent 6 hours visiting more ruins and the museum. Lunch, relax time at a local coffee shop with free wifi, then I caught the Jett bus back to Amman.

I had never heard of the Nabataeans in school. Fascinating people. We are lucky some of what they built has survived along with the Roman, Byzantine and Islamic ruins. The bonus is that it exists in amazing sandstone rock formations similar to our own Zion National Park.

This is a must see site if you love places like Machu Picchu, the Coliseum and the Parthenon. Spouses (or kids) who can only handle a limited amount of walking and who quickly lose patience with 'the old' and big crowds should consider this trip carefully.

Buy a Jordan Pass before leaving the US. It is a bargain if you see Petra for 2 days.

Dealing with the locals selling items, horse rides and camel rides is an issue. Plenty of info on websites like tripadvisor so you don't need my opinion.

Guide or no guide? You will be offered guide services at every tourist sight. Be ready to answer. I find guides to be hit or miss. Mostly miss. But keep in mind, on a do-it-yourself scale, I'm a 9.5

For every place in Jordan, I found a good free map of the area. I had downloaded The Rough Guide Jordan to my IPad before the trip and read through the basic info as well as info on the specific sites I chose to visit. I also use the wikitravel/en website.

Once at the entrance to Petra, I bought a small guidebook. My rule of thumb is - it has to fit comfortably in my back pocket. That's usually enough to read for the day.

You can walk around Petra and each major site has a standing metal tourist info board in languages including English. Good basic info. I thumbed through my guidebook. I sometimes drifted into tour groups to listen in. Nobody seemed to notice or mind. I really enjoy the freedom of breaking away from the herd at any point I wanted.

Believe me - in a place like Petra, you can't seem to enjoy enough the quieter times when no one else is around. Getting there early morning on the second day was something special.

That said, a good, clear English speaking and entertaining guide can be golden.

Closing thoughts on Jordan:

Use Google Translate for three basic phrases. It is a very cool tool with pronunciation through headphones/speaker. Look up 'Hello' 'Thank you' and 'Goodbye' and write them down phonetically. Example: SHOO-krahn is thank you. Tape these to the back of your phone. Now you speak some Arabic.

Safe? Yes. The big hotels in Amman have security like an embassy. The embassies have security like a supermax. Police are everywhere in the tourist areas. Extremists are a relatively small issue - nothing like Iraq, Syria, etc. They are dealt with harshly in this kingdom - our Gitmo would probably be a Crowne Plaza in comparison to what Jordan's police have to offer.

The people and leadership are very friendly toward the west - check out any interview with His Majesty King Abdulah II.

Early December weather was perfect- clear, cool, 65 degrees (YMMV).

This is the off  tourist season. Plus world events are dampening travel. I hardly ever waited in a line.