Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Bike Ride Through Italy

The planning and training for international bike trip #3 has officially begun. I've been overseas twice for extended rides on the bike (bicycle). First was Germany in 2002. I rode from Wurzburg to Augsburg in mid-September along a route known as the Romantische Strabe or Romantic Road. I was solo on that trip so it was not too romantic. Beautiful, though. Fall colors were everywhere and the weather was clear and bright for 6 days along well kept paths between small German towns like Nordlingen and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Highlight was a 70 mile day to the fortress city of Rothenburg overlooking a river below. The last ten or fifteen miles were uphill to the ancient defended highgound that is now home to dungeon museums, small hotels and of course the most welcome of sights after 7 hours on the bike- beer gardens.

In March 2006 I packed up the same bike, flew off to the hemisphere down under, and rode through the South Island of New Zealand from Christchurch to Queenstown. Here are some numbers: 7 days on the left side of the road. A dozen (or so) Kiwi beers. Zero flat tires or breakdowns. 5 million sheep. One beautiful country.

Last Sunday, training for a ride through Italy began. I woke up early and pedaled for a couple of hours before breakfast. Phoenix mornings could almost be considered a little cool now with near zero humidity and Sundays are the best time for street riding just about anywhere. I told my teenage son at breakfast that I had pedaled my bike for 30 miles in about two hours. He remarked that it sounded like I'd just been through a school zone.

Future updates on the trip planning and training can be found here:

 update 9/10  -  The Route is Set:

Firenzie (Florence) - 31 miles to

San Gimignano - 22 miles to

Radda in Chianti - 15 miles to

Siena - 23 miles to

Montalcino - 22 miles to

Montepulciano - 19 miles to

Cortona - 42 miles to

Assisi - 29 miles to

Todi - 23 miles to

Orvieto - Train back to Firenzie

Total distance 226 miles (planned 5 days)



update 9/17  -  Ship or Rent:

On the past two trips, I transported my own bike overseas. In both cases, there was no charge to ship the bike by either American Airlines (to Germany) or on Air New Zealand. Times have definitely changed. It is now a significant additional fee to ship a bike international (or anywhere). Plus, both times I had to break down the bike and place it in a cardboard box for protection from the baggage manglers. When I arrived out of country, I had to re-assemble the bike and store the box, parts and some airline travel clothes in one location. Then when the ride was over I had to re pack the thing for the flight home.

I loved having my own bike for those two trips. It was 100 percent reliable. I never had a flat or any mechanical problem in all of those hundreds of miles. I will certainly miss this. But I think renting is the way to go, now.

There are many bike hire companies around Italy. I chose one in Florence where I will begin and end the Tuscany ride-adventure. The price is not too far from what it would cost me to ship my own.