Saturday, February 8, 2014

Thermapen

I am a guy that loves the gadgets. Last week one arrived on my doorstep and is now one of  the most useful things I have ever bought on the internet:




It is called a Thermapen and is manufactured in Utah by a company called Thermaworks.

There are plenty of web reviews already out there on the product. My favorite TV Chef, Alton Brown, mentioned it during a published interview, so I decided to try one. It is a basic probe type thermometer that uses more precise and quicker-reading technology to measure food temperature.

It comes with both a signed calibration certificate and an amazingly readable user's manual - in one language! No California chemical or death may occur warnings in any of the literature can be found. Just how to use the thing and how much you will love it in the kitchen or on the backyard grill - which I do.

I can't remember the last time I ever read an entire owner's manual. One funny part was a gentle suggestion to not take the Thermapen to your local steak restaurant and test the grilled porterhouse that just landed on your table. The food has most-likely already cooled below it's peak temperature back in the kitchen.

Don't get food poisoned or eat a dried out steak! Check this thing out.